Are you interested in commissioning a work? Doing so can be a very rewarding experience for you and your ensemble! We grow musically through collaboration, and can develop a profound connection when involved from a piece’s inception—there is an energy and excitement that is difficult to reproduce any other way.
Commissions usually start with an idea. It could be the celebration of an anniversary, or a memorial of a family member or a friend. It could be a piece of poetry that speaks to you. Or the love of a specific location or feeling.
We begin by exploring the possibilities of translating these ideas into music. What instrumentation is desired? Who would perform the piece? What are the technical abilities of the performers? What length should the piece be? What is the situation in which the piece will be performed? For choral and vocal music, what text would be appropriate?
The process of exploring these ideas is always free, and does not commit you to commissioning. Once we get to the point of commitment, we will draw up an agreement that clearly states the parameters of the commission and the expectations we have from each other.
Whatever project you have in mind, and however far along you are in its development, please contact me to start a conversation. Let’s chat!
Past commissions include:
- Let Us Be Merry (Choral) and Hine Ma Tov (Choral) – Commissioned by Gaithersburg Community Chorus, Maryland, in celebration of their 25th Anniversary season 2012-2013.
- Now Thank We All Our God (Sacred) – Commissioned by Grace Lutheran Church, Shillington, PA, in celebration of hosting a community Thanksgiving eve service in 2008.
- The Fish Trio (Piano Trio) – Written for the MAVI chamber music festival, it is a piano trio that features two violists (rather than the typical violin/cello), since MAVI is a viola institute.
- Eire’s Call (Orchestral) – Written for Foss High School Orchestra (Tacoma, WA) as part of an education and arts program. A diary of composing this piece can be found here.
- Fanfare for Life (Orchestral) – A symphonic tone poem commissioned in memory of a loved one, premiered by the Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra.
- To Sarah (Vocal) – Commissioned for the wedding of an opera singer and a concert pianist.
- Horse Play (Instrumental Solo) – A three movement trumpet duet commissioned as a birthday present.
- Red Riding Hood (Opera) – A short opera written for child audiences, commissioned by Chaspen Foundation for the Arts. This piece uses the same instrumentation as Peter and the Wolf, making it a great companion piece.
- The Frog Prince (Opera) – A second children’s theater commission by the Chaspen Foundation for the Arts, retelling the fable with a few twists.
Contact me if you are interested in a project.
Meet The Composer also has a basic guide to commissioning music, which will answer many of your questions.